Sunday 4 December 2011

Be surprised – not always pleasantly

By the time I had baby number 4 I truly thought I could take anything they could dish out. I mean I had seen it all before hadn’t I? As it turns out, I hadn’t. By the time she was three, Beloved Offspring number 4 (BO#4) had been naughty in ways so creative that I was dumbstruck with admiration.
Putting a house up for a home open is unpleasant, not being a natural at keeping a house in show condition, it was made even worse when the night before our open day Miss Three decided to cover her naked body in a family tub of yogurt and “swim” along the freshly polished wood floors. This incident took place within hours of me moving a toy box to find more 3 year old art work on the newly painted wall. I’m hoping God has forgiven me for the thoughts that momentarily crossed my mind as it didn’t take me long to see the funny side, especially with my older kids hysterical laughter spurring her on.
New linen on our main bed doesn’t seem to stay that way for long: kids in and out for cuddles and sick kids and their vomit (don’t groan; you’ve all been there).
So when I do splurge on new stuff it’s a bit of a treat. One particular time however the newness was even shorter lived than usual when before it had been on the bed a few weeks, the very same child covered her naked body in Vaseline to “slide around the bed”. Incidentally a giant grease stain in the shape of a snow angel is very unappealing.
Good grief, reading this back I think I may have cause for concern, covering her naked body in strange substances seems to be a theme.
Always enterprising she (yes the same she of the yogurt, linen episodes) one day decided to “help with the washing”. Adding soap to the toilet bowl and stirring her dad’s socks and underwear with the toilet brush wasn’t really what I had in mind as help though but I guess the intention was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment